Wintertime in Scotland provides a challenging and rewarding environment. This course will give you the winter skills you need to thrive. A large portion of the course will be spent addressing three key areas;
- Staying on your feet – with good crampon and footwork.
- Avoid hazards (inc. avalanches) – using good navigation, route planning, weather forecasts.
- Looking after yourself – use of ice axe to recover a slip, becoming efficient while moving through winter terrain, keeping yourself warm, fed and watered.
During the course we’ll travel to some of the most beautiful and remote parts of the UK. You will have the opportunity to put skills learnt into practice. Examples of where we visit on these courses include:
- A traverse of Bidean nam Bian from Lost Valley and down via Stob Coire nan Lochan – Glen Coe
- Travelling into the Grey Corries to see these spectacular snowy mountains – Lochaber
- A view of the mighty north face of Ben Nevis – Lochaber
A typical itinerary for a two day course would be:
- Meet 8:30; discuss look at equipment, fit crampons, discuss weather forecast and the venue for the day
- 10:00 – 16:30; Be on the hill, look at footwork on snow using your boot, cutting steps, ice axe arrest, and use of crampons. We may also touch on snow types depending on conditions.
- 16:30 – 17:00; review the day, discuss plans for following day.
- Meet 8:30; packed and ready to go.
- 9:00 – 16:30; Be on the hill, consolidate day one skills, further movement and use of crampons, look at snow types, understanding avalanche risk, and navigation in winter.
- 16:30 – 17:00; review the day, discuss next steps.
My aim would be for you to be full of confidence to go out exploring the Scottish Munro’s and Corbetts by the of of the course with a few recommend next steps.
Accommodation is not included.
This course is based in the West Highlands near Fort William. This gives us several different mountain ranges to visit and develop skills in.
This is an open course, If you’d like one to one instruction or a course in a different location please book my bespoke winter skills course instead.